this is very abstract title I guess but it summarizes why I did not post last Saturday when I planned, yes I am sorry. Anyway I was on this contest called Green trail, golden leaf which is contest of mostly biology though there is also astronomy, meteorology (not this year) and geology. I was not contestant for the first time, but organizator and I helped with astronomy site.
There are two categories which are basicly for older (10-15) and younger (0-10) kids (numbers are rough). The contest happens in groups of 6 people. They are then walking the trail three at a time, getting points on various sites on various topics and finally their points add up.
In Friday I had actually presentation first. I was pretty happy how I did it except that it was a little bit too long. The problem was that even that the presentation was for roughly 50-60 minutes the kids were discussing and asking questions a lot (which made me happy of course) but finally the presentation was roughly 100 minutes.
I was talking about the view on Earth, geocentrism, heliocentrism, no centrism at all and why the Universe is so big and why people usually think it is not. I followed up with aliens and Fermi paradox, of course wow signal and KIC xx… were also mentioned. In the end I mentioned SpaceX, terraformation of Mars, New Horizons and Voyager.
As I said the presentation was going pretty good as well as the contest itself. For younger kids we had questions like:
- Name 3 astronauts
- What is astronomical unit and what is light year
- Name 3 missions (Apollo and other count as 1)
- Name 4 constellations that are visible in Czech Republic
- Highest mountain in Solar System and where it is
- Where do comets come from?
- Difference between meteorite, meteor, meteoroid and asteroid.
- … (and other)
For older it was bit more difficult:
- What is afelium and perihelium
- Name all Galilean moons and give a small info for one of them
- What is HR diagram
- (Lot of pictures about life time of star)
- Draw the orbit of typicall comet and draw both tails and name one place where they come from.
- … (and other)
From 12 sites astronomy was the 2nd toughest 😀
Lets see how would you do, I will return to it some other post.